Most of the small businesses around the globe do not have a proper or official internet security policy in place for their employees and business network system, and the few small businesses that do have some form of cyber-security in places of business, possess only the bare minimum cyber-security measures.
Considering these facts, it is highly worrying and a great cause for concern that a large number of owners and proprietors of small businesses are blissfully unaware of the huge threat looming large in front of them in the form of cyber-attacks and are comfortably cushioned in the false belief and misconception that their cyber-security measures are adequate.
This becomes even more problematic when you take into account the fact that barely one-fourth of the total number of owners of small businesses opt for professional third-party computer testing to fortify their cyber-security and protect their systems from hackers. Moreover, less than half of them have data back-up in multiple locations.
Taking a proactive approach to preventing cyber-attacks is now standard operating protocol for most organizations.
Now, keeping all this in mind, rest assured that even if you are ill-equipped or unable to hire and opt for the services of a third-party professional or expert to run a diagnostic scan on your system, identify and locate its weaknesses and fortify your cyber-security as a whole, you can still carry out the following easy and effective steps in order to bolster your cyber-security and minimize the risk of your business and employees falling prey to a harmful and dangerous cyber-attack.
- Make sure you have a sturdy and effective firewall for your internet connection. Furthermore, it is also essential that you secure your Wi-Fi networks and make sure that they are hidden as well as password protected.
- Make sure your employees get a regular and comprehensive education and training in the basics of cyber security and threat management.
- Make sure that you always have multiple back-up copies of crucial business information and company data stored in various different locations, so that even if you lose it to hackers or technical failures, you can mitigate the consequent damage.
- Make sure that you install, update and use antispyware as well as antivirus software and applications on each and every PC and computer system in your business system to keep cyber-threats and hackers at bay. Cyber criminals usually use known flaws, or exploits, in the software to gain access to the system. Patching these flaws and exploits can make it less likely that you’ll become a target.
- Make sure that each and every one of your employees has a separate user account. Also, make it a point to restrict your employees’ access to important business data and information and allow only authorized personnel to install cyber-security software.
- Change your passwords at frequent and regular intervals. Make them complex and let the Password Managers worry about that. A Password Management Toll can help you to keep your passwords locked down.
- Restrict, limit and manage and allow only authorized personnel to physically access your computers and business network. Keep the private data locked down. Cyber criminals can often get your personal data with just a few data points, so the less you share publicly, the better.
In a way, fighting cybercrime is everyone’s concern. For most individuals, that means following a few simple, common-sense steps to keep yourself and your family safe. It also means reporting cybercrimes to officials at the right time. Being cyber resilient can help a company prevent business downtime, loss of revenue, and legal liabilities that come bundled with cyber breaches.
Are you looking for professional help to fortify your business’s cyber-security and prevent cyber-attacks? Well, then you have come to the right place!
SPARK Services can help you with all your computer, web, and voice needs. We aim to identify customer needs and it is our mission to provide our customers with the most effective solutions, using advanced technology, and offer all of this at a reasonable price that won’t burn a hole in your pockets.
We offer only the best and finest cyber protection and peace of mind that you deserve!